15 January 2012

Brighton beach huts 1: Melbourne, Australia

I find beach huts seriously ticklish,  and I don't think I'm alone in that. Coincidentally there are equally fabulous ones on two Brighton Beaches a very long way apart; Brighton Beach, Melbourne, Australia, and closer to home on Brighton Beach, Sussex, England. And, incidentally, Australia's Brighton was named after Brighton in Sussex. Today, it's the Aussie beach huts I've got for you. They are a landmark of this suburb of Melbourne, and they are known to have begun appearing there in 1862, and were moved to their present spot in 1934. These colours are amazing - beyond vibrant - very, very Australian!  I just love that kangaroo! Next time I'll have have the English Brighton huts for you - compare and contrast..........
All photos by Christian Haugen  from Flickr under CC BY license