14 January 2016

Jelly beans for design: Sweet inspiration

Jelly bean sweets for design inspiration? Well, why not - I think they're utterly beguiling! Actually, it was my daughter who said I should do a blog about jelly beans: Looking at these wonderful blob-shaped pouffes, which surely must be some sort of relation of the scrumptious jelly bean, I'd say she wasn't wrong!

The endearing little pouffes are a design called Puppa, and are from amazing Swedish design company Bla Station, whose compelling furniture I featured in my previous blog More blobs and globules: Emotive simplicity. They are proof that jelly beans are all you need to inspire design.

The first image was from a search of Jelly Bean Walls - I'm sure you could design a Jelly Bean Wall. It's very pharmaceutical, very Damien Hirst. The other image is simply sculptural; at this scale it's an interior design in it's own right.

Boiled sweet colours and great taste - can we get enough of them?

 1 Image by Gareth Jones
3  Image by Ruth L.  Images 1 & 3 via Flickr under CC BY license.