07 April 2012

Interiors versus installations: The Third Space, Munich

Hunting for exciting, inspirational interiors for this blog I chanced upon these pictures of an exhibition in Munich, Germany, entitled the Third Space. Some quick stats about it, just for the record: It was, the description says, the work of 52 interior design students who built it from one million, three hundred thousand cable ties in a space of two hundred square metres, and it took them sixteen thousand eight hundred and seventy hours. Goodness. Phew.

My daughter and I were at an Easter art session this week - theme was art inspired by nature.  And this art too is a dream that's sprung from nature. People who experienced it must have tasted life as tiny people in a giant garden.

So I was searching for an exciting, inspirational interior and instead you got this - not an 'interior' but an 'installation'. And that's my point - so-called interiors tend to be, well, just plain banal. If only 'interiors' achieved this level of fantasy. Interiors versus installations? Give me installations every time! What do you think?

 
 
All photos of The Third Space Exhibition, Munich, 2008
 from Flickr under CC BY License