28 November 2011

a room with a view

Your  favourite room , it has been said, is the one with the person in it whom you most want to be with. I don't know where that leaves design! For me, I don't think anything superficial that you can slap on a space (or put in it) will ever be more than what that space is or where it is.

These lovely images I found are all about  place. I think a nod to the location, or the wider context, of a space is an essential element of any interior (or building.) I think any space should say at least something about where it is, but these fantastic rooms go one further. Spectacularly situated, they are able simply to be the frame for their stunning views.

The bathroom is a picture frame conceived to actually multiply the view, with shiny surfaces that physically reflect the exterior plus a wall which mimics the view in tone and texture. The result is amazing.

These rooms are their view.

Photos from Tommerton on Flickr under CC BY license